Baked Tomatoes Provencal
When tomatoes are abundant and flavorful, it’s time to make Baked Tomatoes Provencal, an easy tomato casserole recipe. Tomatoes baked with cheese and breadcrumbs is the perfect side dish for your summer menu.
- 3 large tomatoes ,preferably Jersey tomatoes, about 1 lb. 4 oz. total weight, each sliced crosswise into 4 slices
- 2 oz. bocconcini, ,sliced, about 1/4 cup
- 1/2 cup seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 clove garlic ,minced
- 2 Tbs. chopped parsley
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- fresh parsley leaves ,for garnish
Preheat oven to 400F. Coat 6-cup baking dish with cooking spray.
Arrange tomatoes and bocconcini in single layer in prepared baking dish, overlapping slightly, as shown.
In small bowl combine Panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan, garlic, chopped parsley, olive oil and cracked black pepper.
Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over tomatoes and bocconcini.
Bake 20 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden and tomatoes are tender.
Garnish with fresh parsley leaves.
Makes 6 servings.
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Make with green tomatoes for a green tomato recipe
- Substitute heirloom cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes for the large tomatoes
- Top with sliced fresh basil leaves
- Add your favorite shredded cheese too!
Calories: 115kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 111mg | Potassium: 163mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 661IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 1mg