Colcannon Potatoes with Kale and Leeks
Colcannon Potatoes With Kale and Leeks, made with the trendy super food kale, is a twist on the traditional colcannon recipe. Our Colcannon With Kale is an easy recipe made with Yukon gold potatoes and buttery leeks making it a delicious and creamy potato side dish.
- 3 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes , peeled, cut in chunks, 8 cups
- 8 Tbs. butter
- 1 bunch (8 oz.) kale , stems trimmed, leaves chopped, 7 cups
- 2 leeks , white and light green parts sliced, 3 cups
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup potato water from pot of boiling potatoes
- 1 cup milk
In large pot combine potatoes and enough cold water to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup potato water from pot.
Meanwhile, in another large pot melt butter over medium-high heat. Add leeks and cook 4 minutes or until just softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in kale and cook additional 8 minutes or until wilted and tender, stirring occasionally.
Mash potatoes until smooth. Stir in milk, kale mixture and 1/2 cup reserved potato water. Gradually add additional remaining potato water, if necessary, for desired texture.
Makes 8 cups.
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Add cooked bacon to your Irish mashed potatoes
- Top potatoes with additional butter
- Using the potato water from cooking your potatoes adds additional texture to this recipe
- Be sure to remove the stems on your bunch of kale
- The dark green part of the leek is very tough. Only use the light green and white parts of the leek
- Yukon gold potatoes give this recipe a buttery flavor
- Substitute sweet onions for the leeks
- Substitute scallions for the leeks
- Make your potatoes more decadent and replace the milk with half and half
- Substitute baby kale for the bunch of kale and reduce the cooking time to about 2 minutes or until wilted
- Substitute your favorite dairy free milk for the milk
Calories: 264kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 487mg | Potassium: 796mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 783IU | Vitamin C: 36mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2mg