Quinoa Lentil Broth Bowl
Quinoa Lentil Broth Bowl is an easy recipe for a hearty bowl of soup filled with lentils, quinoa, carrots, kale and a hint of lemon in a light tomato broth. Switch out the chicken broth for vegetable broth, top with an egg and have a perfect Meatless Monday dinner!
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 thinly sliced lemon wheels
- 1 onion, chopped, 1 cup
- 2 cups packed chopped kale leaves, abut 2 ounces
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped, 1 cup
- 1 rib celery, chopped, 1/2 cup
- 1 envelope Sazan seasoning, Goya or Knorr brand
- 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) chicken broth or vegetable broth, 5 1/4 cups
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with roasted garlic and onion
- 1/3 cup lentils*
- 1/3 cup quinoa*
- cooked sliced chicken optional
Heat oil over medium-high heat in saucepot. Cook lemon wheels until golden and caramelized, turning once and reserve.
Cook onion, kale, carrots, celery and Sazan seasoning until vegetables are just tender, 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add chicken or vegetable broth, diced tomatoes with their juices and reserved lemon wheels. Bring to a boil. Stir in lentils and quinoa. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until grains are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Top with sliced cooked chicken, if desired.
Makes 6 cups.
*Replace lentils AND quinoa with 2/3 cup Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend, a mix of Israeli couscous, orzo, baby garbanzo beans and red quinoa.
Calories: 152kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 29mg | Potassium: 506mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 5652IU | Vitamin C: 87mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 2mg