Red Velvet Donuts
Love is in the air when you bake Red Velvet Donuts! Intense red color, cake-like texture and deep chocolate flavor make them perfect for Valentine's Day!
Preheat oven to 400F. Coat 2 donut pans with no-stick cooking spray.
In one bowl whisk flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder and kosher salt until blended.
In another bowl whisk buttermilk, butter, eggs and vanilla until combined.
Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir until blended. Add red icing food color and stir until batter has turned a deep red color.
Divide batter evenly between 12 donut cavities.
Bake 10-12 minutes or until tops of donuts spring back when touched. Cool 5 minutes in pans. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
Meanwhile, in small bowl combine confectioners’ sugar and warm water until a glaze forms.
Top cooled donuts with glaze and valentine sprinkles.
Makes 12 donuts.
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Add mini chocolate chips to the batter
- Don’t have buttermilk? Make your own by combining 1 cup milk and 1 Tablespoon vinegar. Let stand until mixture thickens.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the glaze for added flavor
- Substitute green color in place of the red color for green velvet donuts
- Make Hannakuah donuts with blue color for blue velvet donuts
Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 315mg | Potassium: 106mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 191IU | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 1mg