One of my favorite things about the seasons changing from summer into fall is homemade soup simmering on the stove. Soup warms up your body and your soul. Italian Wedding Soup is one of my all-time favorites but did you know that the soup has nothing to do with weddings? The name “Italian Wedding Soup” happened to get a little lost in translation. It is a mistranslation of the Italian phrase “minestra maritata” which translates to “married soup”. It is actually a reference to the fact that green vegetables and meats go well together or in other words the flavors “marry” well. You’re going to love that this recipe is a cinch to make with premade meatballs and baby spinach! It’s ready in about 30 minutes so you can honestly say “Here’s a little something I just whipped up!”. So snuggle under a blanket, warm up your body and soul with simmering soup and welcome in the cool crisp air of autumn.
Italian Wedding Soup
1 Tbs. oil
1 pkg. (14 oz.) frozen bite-size meatballs, approximately 28 per package
1 onion, chopped, 1 cup
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
3 cans (14.5 oz. each) chicken broth
1 cup mini penne pasta
4 cups baby spinach
1. In saucepot heat oil over medium-hi heat.
2. Cook meatballs, onion and Italian seasoning until meatballs are browned and onion is just tender, 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
4. Add pasta. Boil 10 minutes.
5. Stir in spinach. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until pasta is al dente and spinach is wilted, 2-3 minutes.
Makes 8 cups.