Have I told you lately how much I absolutely love the fresh flavors of summer? This season is a foodie’s dream come true! Just thinking about tasting and inhaling the flavor of a juicy sweet fresh pineapple makes my mouth water! Grilling fresh pineapple slices with herbs and spices caramelizes them to perfection and gives them a depth of flavor that cannot be matched! Add chicken and a pineapple rum glaze and you will definitely have a party of flavors at dinner this evening!
Grilled Pineapple Rum Glazed Chicken Breasts
1/2 cup pineapple preserves
2 Tbs. spiced rum OR pineapple juice
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. ancho chile pepper
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
6 slices fresh or canned pineapple
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1. Preheat grill for direct-heat grilling.
2. In small microwave-safe bowl combine pineapple preserves and spiced rum. Microwave until heated through, 1-2 minutes, depending on wattage of your microwave; stir and reserve.
2. In another small bowl combine oregano, ancho and kosher salt.
3. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp. spice mixture on pineapple slices. Brush with 2 Tbs. pineapple rum glaze. Grill until caramelized and heated through, turning once, 2-3 minutes. Reserve.
4. Season chicken breasts with remaining spice mixture. Grill chicken until juices run clear and meat thermometer reads 165F, turning once, and brushing with remaining pineapple rum glaze during last 5-7 minutes of grilling.
5. Serve glazed chicken with pineapple slices.
Makes 4 servings.