With summer in full swing I take total advantage of grilling everything and anything, including my pizza! Pesto Pizza is inspired by my most recent trip to Omaha to visit with my son and his family. A shopping trip to the outlets has become a ritual of every Omaha visit…and I’m certainly not complaining about that! On our last shopping venture we needed to stop for a bite to eat to “refuel” so that we could do more shopping! We came across an eatery called Pieocracy where you build your own personalized pizza and it is baked while you wait.
My daughter-in-law and I both had a pizza with pesto, asiago cheese, artichoke hearts, tomatoes and bacon! Oh yes! Now we’re talking pizza! I’ve made it easy for you to recreate this amazing flavor combination by using already prepared naan as your crust….oh, and I threw in some sundried tomatoes too! Make your pizza extra special and make it with Swirls’ Kale Pesto or Pesto Florentine!
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 pkg. (8.8 oz.) garlic naan
- 1/2 cup pesto, Kale Pesto or Pesto Florentine
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 2 artichoke hearts, each sliced lengthwise into 4 slices
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 Tbs. thinly sliced sundried tomatoes
- 2 slices cherrywood smoked bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- Preheat grill* for direct heat grilling.
- Brush tops of naan breads with 1 Tbs. olive oil. Place, oiled side down, on grill. Grill until hot and just beginning to blacken, 1-2 minutes. Meanwhile, brush remaining olive oil on pizza crust that is facing up (this will be the bottom of your pizza once you turn it).
- Turn pizza crust so top of pizza is now facing up. Top with pesto, asiago, artichoke hearts, grape tomatoes, sundried tomatoes and bacon. Grill until cheese is melted and pizza is heated through, 3-4 minutes.
- Prefer to bake Pesto Pizza in your oven? Just preheat oven to 425F. No need to brush the crust with olive oil. Just top with the pesto and the toppings and bake on a baking sheet until the cheese is melted and the pizza is heated through, about 8 minutes.