Love garlic bread? Love grilled pizza? Put them together and have a fabulously delicious side dish that everyone will be raving about! Appearing on American menus as early as 1947, garlic bread has been around for a very long time. Not grilling season? Not to worry. Just check out the oven directions below*. Definitely a favorite accompaniment to so many meals, you will be serving up this buttery Grilled Garlic Bread Pizza time and time again!
Grilled Garlic Bread Pizza
1 head garlic, peeled
1/2 cup chopped onion
5 Tbs. butter, divided
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tube (11 oz.) refrigerated thin crust pizza crust, such as Pillsbury
9 slices provolone cheese, 6 oz.
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 Tbs. thinly sliced fresh basil
1. In small grinder or small food processor, process garlic cloves and onion until mixture is a thick paste consistency or chop to a very fine consistency.
2. In small non-stick skillet melt 3 Tbs. butter over medium heat. Cook garlic mixture and salt until softened and fragrant, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes.
3. Generously spray grill grates with non-stick cooking spray. Then preheat grill for direct-heat grilling*.
4. Melt remaining 2 Tbs. butter. Brush one side of pizza crust with half of melted butter. Place pizza crust, buttered side down, on grill. Grill until hot and lightly browned. Meanwhile, brush pizza crust that is facing up with remaining melted butter (this will be the bottom of your pizza once you turn it).
5. Turn pizza crust so top of pizza is now facing up. Spread garlic mixture in thin layer over top of pizza crust. Top with slices of provolone and shredded mozzarella.
6. Grill until pizza crust is cooked through and cheeses are melted.
7. Remove from grill. Top with sliced basil and cut into 12 pieces.
Makes 12 servings.
*Oven Directions: You will not need the 2 Tbs. melted butter in Step #4. Just preheat oven to 400°F. Coat baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Unroll crust onto prepared baking sheet. Bake crust 7 minutes. Top crust with garlic mixture, provolone slices and shredded mozzarella. Bake additional 8-11 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheeses are melted.