With the hot and humid days of summer coming to an end and the cooler brisker days of fall quickly arriving my mind begins to dream of a piping hot bowl of soup to warm my chilled bones. Add a little bit of spice and you’ll warm up even faster. Chipotle Cheddar Potato Soup is the perfect soup to do just that!
Chipotle Cheddar Potato Soup
4 slices bacon, chopped
2 leeks, chopped, white and light green parts only, 2 cups
2 carrots, peeled and chopped, 1 cup
1 rib celery, chopped, 1/2 cup
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. chipotle chile pepper
2 lbs. baking potatoes, peeled and diced, 6 cups
6 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
2 scallions, sliced
1. In pot over medium heat cook bacon until crisp, stirring occasionally. Using slotted spoon, remove bacon pieces and reserve.
2. In same pot cook leeks, carrots, celery, kosher salt and chipotle chile pepper until vegetables are just tender, 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender and vegetables are soft.
4. Transfer 4 cups of mixture to blender; let cool for several minutes. Always be careful when processing a hot mixture in the blender! Be sure mixture has cooled a bit first! Then puree, holding hand on top cover of blender, until mixture is smooth.
5. Return pureed mixture to pot. Cook over medium heat. Add 1 cup cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese is melted.
6. Garnish with reserved bacon, remaining cheese and scallions.
Makes 8 servings/8 cups.