It’s so easy to make your own homemade cranberry sauce that you’ll never want to buy that canned stuff again! Simmer fresh cranberries with water and brown sugar for a depth of flavor and stir in orange zest for a hint of citrus. That’s it! Brown sugar Orange Cranberry Sauce. Pure clean cranberry sauce you made yourself with all natural ingredients.
Here are some interesting facts about the cranberry from Ocean Spray:
- Legend has it that the Pilgrims served cranberries at the first Thanksgiving dinner in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
- The cranberry is one of only three native fruits cultivated in North America. Others are the blueberry and the Concord grape.
- There are about 450 cranberries in a pound.
- A barrel of cranberries weighs 100 pounds.
- Cranberries bounce because they have small pockets of air inside of them. This air also makes them float in water so they are easy to harvest in water.
- Americans eat a total of about 400 pounds of cranberries each year. About twenty percent of the cranberries are eaten during the week of Thanksgiving!
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh cranberries
- 1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. orange zest
- Combine fresh cranberries, brown sugar and water in saucepot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until cranberries have popped and mixture has thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in orange zest.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Makes 2 1/2 cups.