I’m a push over when it comes to anything Caprese. Fresh mozzarella, juicy tomatoes and fragrant basil…..it doesn’t get much better than that! Brings me right back to my visit to Italy a few years ago…..and makes me wish I was there again! Inspired by a Caprese platter, I flavored Portobello mushrooms in a Balsamic marinade, grilled them and crowned them with fresh mozzarella, pesto and compari tomato slices. Topped with the finishing touch of fresh basil leaves, Balsamic Portobellos Caprese can be a vegetarian meal or side dish. I actually ate mine as a little snack! Talk about eating healthy, beautiful and fabulously delicious!
Balsamic Portobellos Caprese
1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
4 Portobello caps, about 9 oz.
4 slices fresh mozzarella, 4 oz.
1/4 cup Pesto Florentine , Kale Pesto OR store bought prepared pesto
8 slices Campari tomatoes, 2 tomatoes
fresh basil leaves
1. In small bowl combine Balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, chopped basil and kosher salt until blended.
2. Transfer mixture to ziplock plastic bag. Add Portobello caps. Seal and marinate 30-60 minutes, turning once. Remove portobellos from bag and discard marinade.
3. Meanwhile, preheat grill for direct heat grilling.
4. Grill portobellos until tender, turning once, 9-10 minutes per side.
5. Arrange portobellos on serving platter. Top each with mozzarella slice, 1 Tbs. pesto, 2 tomato slices and fresh basil leaf.
Makes 4 servings.
Serving Suggesrion: Serve on a ciabatta roll for a fabulous Portobello “Burger”!