I’m going to admit that sometimes I do buy prepared sour cream and onion dip at the grocery store. And I do like it. But I absolutely LOVE my homemade Bacon & Caramelized Onion Dip. There truly is no comparison! Onions are slowly caramelized making them sweet and tender and then combined with crispy bacon creating a flavor combination that is to die for! This onion dip is the perfect kick-off to the Super Bowl kick-off this weekend!
Bacon & Caramelized Onion Dip
2 Tbs. butter
3 cups chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia, about 2 large onions
2 Tbs. beef bouillon granules
1 pint (2 cups) sour cream
6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled, about ½ cup
¼ cup chopped parsley
- In large non-stick skillet melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook 25 minutes or until onions are deep golden, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in bouillon, reduce heat to low and cook additional 5 minutes; let cool.
- Reserve 1 Tablespoon crumbled bacon and 1 Tablespoon parsley.
- In bowl combine sour cream, onion mixture, remaining bacon and parsley.
- Garnish with reserved bacon and parsley and serve with your favorite chips.
Makes 3 cups.